TWOAT organised both a tea party and a curry dinner attracting over 100 people to St John’s Hall on Saturday March 30 to help support CRS, a project in India. They heard Revd. Anita Matthews, Trustee of CRS, which is based at the Cathedral in Kolkata, speak about its work amongst the very poorest slum dwellers in that city. Anita explained that education and skills are key to helping slum dwellers to have a chance for a better life so they are trying to establish basic schools for the children and training in sewing for the adult women. Chairman Mike Fox noted that whilst India was growing as a country in economic strength it was still home to more impoverished individuals than the whole of Africa. The event raised over £1,300, a quarter of which came from extra donations made by participants after they had heard Anita’s inspiring talk.
Dates for the next TWOAT events are as follows:
- TWOAT’s Annual Street Collection will be taking place outside shops in Tadworth, Walton & Kingswood on Friday and Saturday mornings the 26th and 27th April.
- On Sunday April 28th TWOAT will be selling Teas in the garden at 41 Shelvers Way when it is opened from 2pm to 5.30pm by Keith and Elizabeth Lewis as part of the National Garden Scheme (admission £5).
- TWOAT will have their usual Bottle Stall at the Walton May Fayre on Saturday May 18th. Please donate bottles via Nethercott’s opticians.
- TWOAT’s two 10-mile Sponsored Walks will take place on Friday May 31st and Saturday June 8th and will be centred on Brockham.
- TWOAT will be organising a Singalong plus Auction of Promises in St John’s Hall on June 29th.
Please visit www.TWOAT.org for further information about TWOAT events and projects or to follow links to TWOAT’s online giving page, alternatively phone Mike Fox on 01737 350452.